Photograph of a birdseye view of Broadway looking Northeast from Seventh and Hill, 1888. The east side of Broadway is a large lot with white canvas military tents and uniformed military personnel lined up in formation. Churches can be seen in the background as well as what is identified on the photo as "the electric light mast at Main and 6th Street".; "If you need faith in the future growth of Los Angeles, take a long look at this picture. The encampment of this Lodge (probably the Knights Templar) is on the site of the Bullock Building on the corner of Seventh and Hill Streets in 1888. The camera is looking Northeast towards what is now the retail and financial district of the city. A little over forty years has wrought this change, but most of the building activity which has changed this view has occurred since 1907. Broadway was a street of residences or open fields, reading from left to right in the middle distance we note the First Baptist Church on Sixth and Broadway where Silverwoods' now stands; just behind the right corner of the church we can see a bit of the old Spring Street Grammar School on the present site of the Broadway and Spring Arcade buildings; in the distance is the electric light mast which identifies this spot as Sixth and Main, the Pacific Electric Station corner, while along the right margin is the German Lutheran Church, property now occupied by the W. & J. Sloane building. The Wall Street of Los Angeles -- Spring Street between Fifth and Seventh Streets -- hadn't materialized yet, even in the dreams of Los Angeles pioneers." -- from a clipping placed with picture file card.