Photograph of an exterior view of the Mission San Gabriel Archangel, ca.1870. A lone palm tree stands to the left of center in the foreground, while the two-story adobe complex of the mission can be seen in the right background behind a stretch of post-and-rail fence. The building's narrow side shows an arched doorway above which a rectangular window is arranged. Pillars attached along the broad side of the building appear to support the structure. A small, craftsman-style house can be seen farther back to the left.