Photograph of the exterior view of Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana from the west end of the cloister, ca.1890. The mission cloister and building is in dilapidated condition. There are several people standing underneath the cloister peering outward.; "San Fernando Mission Rey de Espana, seventeenth of the twenty-one missions founded by the Franciscans, was established on September 8, 1797. Its location was ideal, for it was in fertile country, and it was to become one of the major supply sources for the pueblo of Los Angeles (22 miles away) as it grew. The mission farms produced olives, dates, wheat, barley, corn, and other foods. It had 7000 sheep and many other livestock. The secularization that took place in 1834 was, of course, disastrous. The buildings fell into disuse and were vandalized for their building materials. During the Mexican-American War most of the mission lands, covering much of the San Fernando Valley, were sold for $14,000; John C. Fremont used the mission as his headquarters. Following the war the missions were returned to the Catholic Church, but the deterioration continued. Today, the convent buildings dating to the mission days remain. The church, damaged severely in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake, was demolished, and an exact replica built." -- unknown author, ca.2002.