Photograph of a birdseye view of Saint Pauls' Episcopal Cathedral, May 1926. Just to the left of center, the entrance to the cathedral is shown, a set of double doors. To the right, the courtyard is visible enclosed by wrought-iron fence. In the background, tall city buildings are visible.; Saint Paul's Episcopal Church traces its origins in Los Angeles to 1865, when it was known as the Saint. Athanasius Parish Church. In the 1880s the name was changed to Saint Paul's Church, and the church's location was moved from its original spot on New High Street to South Olive Street (where the Biltmore Hotel was later located). Construction of the cathedral at 615 South Figueroa Street began in 1923. The new building was consecrated on 12 November 1924. -- Based on information in A guide to historic places in Los Angeles County. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1978.