Photograph of the exterior view of the Old Mission (Mission of the Sacred Heart) on Couer de Alene River, built in 1843 by Indians and Jesuits, Idaho, [s.d.]. The mission building has a six-column portico entrance. Above the entrance is a multicurved gable where within it is a window designed to resemble the sun. A similar sun symbol is situated above the double door entrance. Another building is visible at left. Scrub grass and a few bushes cover the yard. Mountains are visible in the distance.; "The Old Mission (Mission of the Sacred Heart) is the oldest standing building in Idaho. Jesuits (Blackrobes) arrived at the invitation of the Coeur d'Alenes in the early 1840's. The first mission church was established on the St Joe River about 35 miles south of the present site. Due to flooding, it was closed in 1846, and a new mission church was begun on this site, which has always been sacred to the natives of the area. The Old Mission (built 1848-1853) was a combined effort of the missionaries and over 300 native Catholics. Fr. Ravalli, an Italian born Jesuit, designed the building to resemble the elegant cathedrals of his homeland, using local materials. Wood was milled on the site, and wattle and daub construction used to make the walls both durable and light. The decorations of the interior illustrate both the piety of the workers and their ingenuity. Chandeliers were constructed from old tin cans, the altar was faux-painted to resemble marble." -- unknown author.