Photograph of the exterior view of Mission San Luis Rey from the rear, showing the cemetery and mortuary chapel, San Diego, California, ca.1887. The cemetery (at left) and nearby buildings, including the church (center), are in dilapidated condition. Rocks, twigs, and wild grass cover the cemetery lot. Picket-fence-like boundaries complemented with crosses can be seen near the mortuary chapel (possibly marking grave spots?). Parts of the dome roof and the wall of the nearby mortuary chapel have crumbled. Behind the mortuary chapel stands a tall dome-capped tower. Caption reads: "rear view of San Luis Rey Mission before renovation."; "Although the last mission to be founded in the south, San Luis Rey the 'King of the Missions' came to be the largest and richest of all. A great quadrangle was 500 feet on a side. An intricate aqueduct system supplied water for the mission and gardens as well as for pools used for bathing and laundry. In the year 1831 an incredible 16,000 cattle, 25,500 sheep and 2,150 horses graced the far-flung ranchos. 395,000 bushels of grain and 2,500 barrels of wine were produced by that same year. Mexico, once free from Spain, began to divide the spoils of the mission system. Governor Pio Pico and his brother alone appropriated 90,000 acres of Mission San Luis Rey land for themselves. By 1846 the last vestige of mission life had disappeared. Finally, the U. S. Government gathered the last of the Indians into a 'temporary' home on a reservation at Pala. They are still there, the only original site where Mission Indians are still ministered to. The original decree, signed by President Abraham Lincoln on March 18, 1861, which returned the mission buildings and a few surrounding acres to the Church, is displayed today in the mission museum. Even so, years of vandalism and neglect followed before Franciscans from Mexico returned in 1892, to begin a restoration which has recaptured much of the grandeur of old." -- unknown author.