Photograph of Professor William Lees Judson painting a picture on the bank of the Colorado River during a trip with George Wharton James, ca.1910. He sits on a small stool at right with his brush poised over his palette. His canvas can be seen mounted on a tripod in front of him. Miscellaneous camp gear litters the ground around and behind him. Another man stands in one of two small boats moored just off-shore at left. He is leaning over the water as though having just washed his hands. Trees grow thickly on the far bank.; William Lees Judson was a prominent painter who came to the Los Angeles area in 1893, and founded the first school of fine art in Southern California, the Los Angeles College of Fine Arts. The college became part of the University of Southern California in 1897. The original building erected on the site in the Arroyo Seco in Garvanza in 1901 was designed by Judson. He retired in 1920.