Photograph of a panoramic view of the harbor and Avalon city, Santa Catalina Island, [s.d.]. Tall grass grows on the hill in the foreground. A large ship and many smaller ones sit along the two long docks in the water below. People enjoy the beach on the far left while others sail next to a cylindrical building at right. Houses stand along the roads the wind up the jagged, rock hill at left. The water continues into the right distance.; "One of Catalina's most notable transactions took place in 1887 when investors of the Lick estate resold Catalina for $200,000 to George Shatto. Shatto, a businessman and entrepreneur, was perhaps ultimately responsible for the Catalina we know today. He intended to turn the island into a tourist resort, beginning his five-year reign by surveying the land and building a hotel. To expand Avalon's tourist base further, Shatto used steamships he leased from the Bannings to ferry tourists to and from the mainland. Some island tourists arrived to purchase lots in Avalon, which Shatto auctioned off for $150 to $2,000 depending on location and size. Those who purchased one were then free to set up tents or build summer cottages. However, Shatto racked up some hefty bills and defaulted on his mortgage payments. He soon thereafter lost the island. So what happened next? Wrigley's most prized accomplishment was the construction of the famed Casino in 1929, which Wrigley figured would improve his revenues by attracting more tourists. Though the Casino was never used for gambling, it was a place for people to gather and enjoy some camaraderie and entertainment. It held a variety of functions following its grand opening, but the Casino's earmark during this era was ballroom dancing to the live music of a big band." -- unknown author.