Photograph of a view of Santa Monica looking southwest from the tower of the Academy of Holy Names, ca.1900. One-story houses are visible behind a picket fence on the foreground block to the left of the wide, unpaved street. An intersection is visible farther up, beyond which more two-story craftsman-style houses can be seen. The ocean is visible in the distance.; "The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary had arrived in Santa Monica in July 1899. They opened the Academy of the Holy Names on September 4 of that year in a small frame building on Fourth Street and Arizona. An intense fund-raising drive was launched immediately and a more substantial Academy building was erected in 1900 at Third and Arizona. The dedication of the school on February 22, 1901 was celebrated with a grand parade, fiesta and banquet. Juan Carrillo was parade marshal. Special trains brought guests from Los Angeles." -- unkown author.