Photograph of the Indian's tilma which hangs over the altar at the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mexico, ca.1900. It is a painting of the full figure of the standing Virgin Mary with her hands templed in prayer and her head bowed. She is surrounded by rays of light. It has been worshipped since the 16th century. This image is from photograph of an original negative made from the true picture by Dr. G. d'Arcais, an Italian nobleman, who secured permission from the Bishop after much official intercession.; "Mexican pilgrims visit shrine -- Homage to Patron Saint paid by 100,000 in Annual Excursion. Mexico City, Dec. 12 (UP) -- One hundred thousand pilgrims representing the highest strata of Mexican life as well as the humblest peons and Indians, paid homage today at the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, Mexico's patron on the occasion of the annual pilgrimage to the shrine. Special excursions arrived hourly from all sections, unloading throngs of pilgrims who crawl on the hands and knees over the last 100 yards to the 340-year old shrine. Catholic churches in the city conducted hourly masses, the government refraining from enforcing the limit on the number of open churches under the religious laws. Business houses, banks and offices were closed." -- Newspaper clipping [s.a.].