Photograph of Mission San Juan Capistrano, showing a general view from the south, ca.1899. In the foreground, a damaged wooden fence can be seen with a large tree at left. The fence joins with a barred fence in the background, sectioning off the large plot of land at left. In the extreme background at right, a large ruined church can be seen with crumbling walls and a large domed opening at its center. To the left of the ruined church, the restored mission can be seen. On the right end of the mission, a small wall is visible with small, arched openings for bells. A plain cross atop the roof can be seen near the bell tower. To the left, a row of arches are visible. A series of trees grow beside the arches. Additional buildings can be seen within the mission.; "Front view, from the southeast, 1899 or earlier, showing gabled roof over west wing of mission (now entirely in ruins). Portion of old pueblo plaza still remaining." -- A. Yorba.