Photograph of a painting by Behre (background by Gutzen Borglum) of a general view of Mission San Juan Capistrano, ca.1884. The tall bell tower containing 2 bells is over the church building at right. A quadrangle formed of arched open air corridors extends from long low buildings behind and center left. About 25 people can be seen standing in various locations around the Mission. Two people on horseback are near the front. A wagon drawn by a horse (or donkey) is near the church. A small building is visible in the background near the hills behind the mission. The painting was created by Behre for the California Historical Society in 1884. Gutzen Borglum painted the background under the direction of Don Antonio Coronel, who knew the mission before its destruction.