Photograph of exterior of the first Los Angeles jail and city hall, west side of Spring Street on the corner of Franklin Street. About a dozen men stand in and around the doors under the roof overhang of the 1-story building. A horse-drawn wagon moves by going to the left. Originally built as a residence by Antonio Jose Rochea (Rocha?) and deeded to the city in 1855 by Rochea, Buenaventura Lopez, his wife, Jose Jorge Rocha, Guadalupe Valez, and his wife. Later used as a railroad ticket office and real estate office. Legible signs include: "31 Railroad tickets 31, bought, sold and exchanged, Pryke & Col, cut rates to all points", "31 Ben E. Ward 31, Real estate and insurance", "Caledonian Insurance Co. of Edinburgh, Scotland"..., "Ben E. Ward real estate and insurance, houses to rent, money to loan. For sale [...]. For rent [...]", "J.D. Dunlap, general commission lands & houses for sale and rent", "Potts and Covarrubias real estate agent, general auctioneer", address "33".