Photograph of Mission San Gabriel, California, showing bell tower with pepper trees, ca.1884. In the extreme background at center, the bell tower of the mission can be seen adjacent to a large wall at right. Six small niches for bells can be seen in the bell tower, but only four bells are visible. Atop the tower, a simple cross can be seen. To the right, a large wall supported by buttresses is visible. To the left of the bell tower, a small house can be seen surrounded by a small picket fence. Small plants grow in the home, and a tree is visible along the outside of the fence. To the right of the fence, a woman can be seen sitting near the large wall. To the far right, several more trees can be seen. In the extreme foreground, a line of small weeds are visible.