Photograph of an exterior view of the Courthouse in Sonora, Toulumne County, 1936. Two sets of stairs that appear to be stone lead to the columned, arched doorway of the large courthouse. The columns support a second porch above with a second arched doorway that is topped by a clock tower that extends through the roof. While rectangular windows can be seen on the front side, many arched windows with curtains can be seen on the adjacent side on the right. Down the street to the left houses can be seen amongst trees and a wooded hillside is in the distance. In the foreground a gated yard with many trees lies across the street from the courthouse.; Picture file card reads "The old Courthouse was erected on the site of an abandoned mining claim known as 'Pretty Hill'. The mines on this hill were worked about 30 years, from the 1850's".