Photograph of exterior aerial view of the Permanente Cement Company, ca.1940. At center, the large factory can be seen sitting among the surrounding mountain ranges. Several pipes lie near the center of the factory by the adjacent buildings. A small square building lined with windows is visible at the north end of the factory, and a tall smokestack can be seen adjacent to this building. On the left side of the factory, two large circular tanks can be seen embedded into the ground. Two small buildings lie at the edge of the tanks, and a group of cylindrical tanks can also be seen nearby. Across the ravine further in the foreground, a larger group of cylindrical tanks can be seen adjacent to a rectangular building. In the extreme foreground to the left, a large building is seen extending small platforms to the nearby mountain ridge. Small structures can be seen along the edge of this forested mountain ridge. In the extreme background, a winding road surrounds the outer perimeter of the factory. Numerous hills and curved roads can be seen on both the left and the right.; Back of photoprint reads: "Permanente Cement Company , already the largest cement plant in the world, has been expanded to boost production to 5,500,000 barrels or 22,000,000 sacks annually. Built in less than seven months in 1939 to supply all the cement for mighty Shasta Dam, the Henry J. Kaiser-directed enterprise provided the Pacific war theater with all its bulk cement during world war II. The plant is located in Northern California's Santa Clara Valley where hight quality raw materials, limestone and clay, are located on its property. Novel in operation of the plant is the 48-inch conveyor belt which moves rock downhill at the rate of which there are more than four miles in the plant, generators driven by gravity flow supply enough electricity to operate a five-yard shovel in the quarry. Branch facilities of the cement plant include bulk ship loading equipment located at Redwood City on San Francisco Bay; packhouse and silo storage equipment at Honolulu, T.H. and another manufacturing division at Seattle, Washington".