Photograph of the exterior view of Mission San Francisco de la Espada in dilapidated condition, San Antonio, Texas, ca.1900. The façade features a large arched doorway and three arched openings in the parapet to house the mission bells. Trees are visible in the background. Bushes grow wildly in the front and side of the mission. Picture file card reads: "erected 1729".; "Founded in 1690 as San Francisco de los Tejas near present-day Weches, this was the first mission in Texas. In 1731, the mission was transferred to the San Antonio River area and renamed Mission San Francisco de la Espada. A friary was built at Espada in 1745. The church was completed in 1756." -- unknown author.