Photograph of a view of the Mission San Gabriel from the east end, showing the first bell tower and the last of the Mission Indians settlement, ca.1900. In the center foreground, a pell-mell adobe hut can be seen, with large wooden roof shingles that appear to be scap wood. To the left of this, a small dome of mud and wood appears to be either a kiln or sweat-lodge. A barbed-wire fence runs in front of this in the foreground, with a ladder leaning against a verandah of some kind at right, possibly a trellis for grape vines. In the background beyond a slim tree at left, the long, two-story building of the mission chapel and bell tower can be seen, along with the roof of a third building, which is pictured to the right.