Photographic portrait of Lesley C. (or Carlton) Brand, Glendale, April 6, 1904. Mr. Brand, shown here in bust, wears a light suit, shirt and tie. He can be seen looking straight ahead, while his shoulders are turned slightly to the right. He is clean-shaven and his receding white hair is brushed back. He looks to be a man in his mid-to-late forties. Mr. Brand was a St. Louis-born financier who settled in Los Angeles in 1898 and was known as the "Father of Glendale". He made his fortune as head of the Title Guarantee and Trust Company. He was also a partner or full owner of a Glendale bank, hotel, and public utility company, as well as a prominent mover in the incorporation of Glendale in 1906. Earlier, in 1904 he convinced Henry E. Huntington to extend his Pacific Electric Railroad into Glendale, securing the city's future. Photoprint reads: "secured P.E. R.R. first car".