Photograph of the rocks at Avila oil shipping port, San Luis Obispo, ca.1905. At left, a large, craggy rock stands just at the edge of shore, extending out to a cluster of much shorter, flatter rocks in the nearby surf. In the background, buildings are indistinctly visible on the shore, just in front of a ridge of hills.; "The government realizes the importance of the shipping industry at San Luis Bay, which is the greatest oil shipping port in the country. Every day there are two or three oil boats loading at Port San Luis; the construction of the public wharf has been completed at Avila; the Californian Petroleum Refineries Limited has completed its wharf and Plant at Oilport and the oil is already being shipped from there." -- unknown author.