Photograph of students and teachers outside of a Lankershim Ranch School in bunkhouse, San Fernando Valley, California, ca.1889. Several groups of children are out at play on the dusty, sedge grass-laden property in front of two, small one-story buildings. To the left, a line of older girls and one boy wait in anticipation of passing through the loop made by their two teachers, who have linked their arms together to make an eyelet. A third teacher stands to the right and a bit more forward, behind whom five young boys play at pushing each other. The rest of the children are seated in a row facing front, with two boys to the left, three girls in the center and three more boys to the extreme right. Foliage from a tree obscures much of the second building in the background.