Photograph of exterior view of Shell Chemical Corporation synthetic Ammonia Plant, ca.1940. At center, the large exterior of the chemical plant can be seen. In the foreground, an array of horizontal pipes can be seen extending into the far background on the left. Several valves are also visible along thin pipes that cross the array perpendicularly. In the foreground at center, a single pipe with a small circular opening can be seen. A small amount of steam trails from the pipe. Further into the background on the left, a mesh of pipes and metal bars can be seen. Additionally, a single cylindrical tank is visible near the large array of pipes. In the background at center, a rectangular building surrounded by pipes and rails can be seen. To the left of the building, wide pipes move over the large array. To the right of the building, several pipes extend toward the floor of the plant. Several men can be seen near the bases of the pipes alongside small barrels and containers. Behind the pipes on the right, three cylindrical towers and a largely raised platform is visible. In the extreme background to the right, a long building structure is visible with a sloped rooftop. In the background at center, a tall structure covered with pipes and cylindrical tanks can be seen. At the top of the structure, a large smokestack is visible. In the extreme background, large hills full of vegetation are visible.; Photoprint reads: "Construction of the multi- million dollar Ventura plant maintains the position of Shell Chemical Corporation as the largest producer of anhydrous ammonia and ammonium sulphate west of the Rockies. Although essential in many industrial chemical operations, ammonia's principal use is the field of nitrogenous fertilizers, greatly needed here in the West where soils are deficient in nitrogen".