Photograph of painting of the Ameilia near the shore of an island, ca.1880-1890. At center, the large side wheel ship Amelia is seen moving along the ocean water. The white exterior of the ship is contrasted with its dark lower hull. The ship has two visible decks with several passengers moving along both the upper and lower deck. Near the bow of the ship, a crane sits adjacent to a large white pole. A single blue flag sits atop the white pole. Similarly, another blue flag and pole can be seen extending from the top of the ship's navigational quarter. At the center of the ship, a single smokestack is seen emitting a thin stream of black smoke into the clear blue sky. At the stern, a large American flag hangs on a large white pole. Along the side of the ship, the bottom of a large red, circular paddle is visible. The semicircular casing above the paddle contains the word "Amelia" on its side. In the extreme background to the right, two ships can be seen sailing on the water. To the left, the coastline of the island curves to the right into the foreground of the image. In the foreground, vegetation stands near the sand at the water's edge.; Picture file card reads, S.S. Amelia, first steam vessel on Wilmington - Catalina run, from 1880 to 1883. Owned by Wilmington Transportation Co., whose president was Phineas Banning. Color print.; Accompanying article reads [part 1 of 2]: "Cross Channel Transportation In the early days the regular cross-channel vessels plying the waters between San Pedro or Port Los Angeles and Avalon, Catalina Island, were only operated during the summer season. The first steamer was the Ferndale, operated in 1888 by George H. Shatto. Before the advent of the steamers, we find this interesting story as told by Capt. Wm. Banning, of the side-wheeler Amelia, that ran between San Pedro and Santa Catalina: 'The Amelia was built in 1860 and was designed by a marine architect. She was a wonderful sea boat. She had an overhanging guard-rail from the bow clear around the stern. When she was put in the Catalina service in 1880 to 1883, every other board in the guard rail was taken out to permit the water to pass through it. I do not recall that the vessel was ever taken out of the trough of the sea during its service between San Pedro and Avalon. During its service in Southern California waters, the Amelia was officered by Captain A.A. Polhamus, one of the old school of master mariners. He was a real skipper. The late Andrew Young was chief engineer on the vessel and my first duties were those of purser. In the Catalina service the vessel was well furnished. With a restaurant and saloon, it provided food and entertainment for its passengers on the cross-channel trip, which took almost two and three-quarter hours. After the vessel had been sold to a northern firm she was sailed north, putting in at San Francisco to have some work done on the boilers."; Accompanying article reads [part 2 of 2]: "Before heading for the Columbia River, the planks taken from the guard-rail for the Southern California service were again replaced. In a three-day southeast storm at the mouth of the Columbia River the vessel was unable to cross the bar. On the second day of the hurricane it was necessary to operate every pump to keep her afloat. When she finally crossed the bar there was great rejoicing, both by the men on board the vessel and those on shore.' The vessels operated by the Banning Company were the Falcon, Hattie, La Paloma, Hermosa No. 1, and Oleander. In 1900 the Warrior was placed on the regular run with Capt. Alex Smith. It was 1902 when the S.S. Hermosa No. 2, then considered the most palatial vessel in Southern California, was launched. To celebrate the occasion of the launching of Hermosa No. 2, Hermosa No. 1 was brought to Avalon, anchored in Avalon Harbor, and on July 4, 1902, was made the center of a huge bonfire and fireworks display. The S.S. Cabrillo, built at the Banning Company's shipyards at Port Los Angeles, was launched in 1904. Other vessels operated by the Banning Company, or the individual members of the said company, were the gasoline screw Cricket, the gasoline screw Catalina, and the steam yacht Companero. The S.S. Avalon, formerly the S.S. Virginia, of the Goodrich Lines on the Great Lakes, was reconditioned on the Atlantic Coast and placed in the Catalina service in the spring of 1920, for the Wilmington Transportation Company: Length 264.7 ft., Beam 38.03 ft., Tonnage 1985. The S.S. Catalina, at a cost of more that one million dollars, was built by the Los Angeles Ship Building Company and was placed in service in 1924: Length 285.20 ft. Tonnage 1776".