Photograph of an unidentified oil field, September 16, 1883. A derrick stands tall and prominent in the foreground, with a wooden house-like structure built into its base. Two smoke stacks emit plumes of smoke on both sides of the derrick, and a line of five chimneys stands on a rooftop in the rightmost foreground. Left of the derrick is a large cylindrical tank, in front of which lies a ditch dug into the soil. Another set of chimneys sprouts from a house-like unit in the distance, alongside several oilrigs. In the background, one can see the slopes of hills, some with unidentifiable structures atop them. The words "n.a. Blauvelt No.1" are edited in white onto the picture as well as "ee. Pierce & co. 1572 W. Pico, L.A.".