Photograph of the the Smiley Brothers, "fathers of Redlands", at Smiley Heights, Redlands, ca.1890. Both men, bearded wearing hats and 3-piece suits, are standing in a street beside an embankment overgrown with ivy. The Smiley brothers, twins Albert K. and Alfred H., were born at Vassalboro, Maine, March 17, 1828. Albert first visited California in 1888 and bought a 50 acre hillside tract at Redlands. Next year the other brother arrived and they increased their holdings to 200 acres. This was later know as Smiley Heights Park. In 1890 they began to imporve the property and in 1891 build their homes there which still stand. They called it the "Canyon Crest Park" but the public always called it "Smiley Heights." It has always been a private park. Alfred died in 1903 and Albert in 1912, both in Redlands.; "Albert Keith Smiley, educator and humanitarian, passed away this morning at his home in Smiley Heights, Redlands; and his wife is critically ill. Mr. Smiley came to Southern California and settled in Redlands in 1889, and with his brother purchased in Canyon Crest Park, commonly known as Smiley Heights, where he made his winter home. The estate has been thrown open to the public as one of the scenic drives of the Southland. In 1898 he presented Redlands with a public library adjoining the park at a cost of $60,000 and in 1906 enlarged the library by adding a wing costing $11,000." -- Exress, 2 December 1912.