Photograph of an exterior view of the Bellosguardo estate in Santa Barbara, later a bird refuge and zoo, ca.1920. Tables and chairs can be seen on a stone outdoor patio at center. A building with pillars can be seen at left attached to the patio, while bushes and trees line the patio at right. What appears to be the ocean and mountains are visible in the background.; Originally, the record had the following title: "Exterior view of the Bellosguardo estate in Santa Barbara, later a bird refuge and zoo". The Bellosguardo estate, however, was never turned into a bird refuge or a zoo. It was sold to William A. Clark in 1923 for $300,000 and, 10 years later, Mrs. Clark had the house torn down to make way for a new home designed by Reginald Johnson, architect of Santa Barbara’s main post office and the Biltmore Hotel.