Photograph of an exterior view of the Bellosguardo estate in Santa Barbara, ca.1920. A two-story building -- the Child Estate whose land later became a bird refuge and zoo -- can be seen on a hill partially obscured by trees to the left of center. The hill is bordered at right by a body of water, while a field and mountains can be seen in the right background. Plants and trees are visible in the foreground.; Originally, the image had the following title: "Exterior view of the Bellosguardo estate in Santa Barbara, later a bird refuge and zoo". The Bellosguardo estate, however, was never turned into a bird refuge or a zoo. It was sold to William A. Clark in 1923 for $300,000 and, 10 years later, Mrs. Clark had the house torn down to make way for a new home designed by Reginald Johnson, architect of Santa Barbara’s main post office and the Biltmore Hotel.