"Under dust in the file room. 1st City hall records located.Historical records of the first Los Angeles City Hall, approved by the City Council on July 11, 1884, were found in a dusty file room in the present City hall by William R. Blakely, director of the bureau of public buildings. The glazed linen cloth drawings discovered contained both floor plans and elevations. Records showed the first City Hall occupied a lot 98 by 92 feet on the northwest corner of Second and Spring streets. The building was three stories tall with two towers, one for a clock and one for a bell to sound alarms. Designed by Architect R. B. Young it was rococo and baroque with French and Flemish motif. Occupied in 1855 [sic.] - it was first occupied in 1885 and one of the first ordinances adopted in the new City Hall outlawed the carrying of a deadly weapons without a permit - proof that the city was growing up, Blakely said. Another law passed that year prohibited the keeping of more than two cows in the area bounded by Main, Sixth, Bunker Hill and Temple streets. Those were modest days and the library on the third floor had separate reading rooms for "Ladies" and "Gents." Los Angeles had 11, 183 residents in 1880 and by 1890 it had grown to 50,395. Plans of L.A.'s first City Hall found: Sarah Day shows 72-year-old drawing of building" -- Examiner clipping attached to verso, dated "November 23, 1956". Verso dated, "November 23, 1956".