Father Hidalgo rang the bell of Dolores, Los Angeles, 1979, Placita de Dolores, exterior, El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument, Alameda Street near Macy. This mural was commissioned to complement a replica of the Bell of Dolores, which was donated to Los Angeles by the Mexican government in 1968. When Father Hidalgo rang the original bell in Dolores, Mexico, on September 16, 1810, his action became the opening salvo of the Mexican Wars of Independence (from Spain). Hand-made ceramic tiles, 8' x 44', by Eduardo Carrillo. Sponsored by Board of Public Works. -- Dunitz, Street gallery, p. 38, #42.