"Mission House at Suau; Walker his teachers and their wives." [Suau is an island in the Fyfe Bay area]. Group portrait of the mission household including indigenous children and Christian teachers, possibly from the South Seas. F.W. Walker joined W.G. Lawes in the Papuan field on 20 September, 1888, where he served until 1902. Walker served in the Port Moresby and Kwato districts until 1894, transferring to the Gulf district until his resignation in 1896, resuming his position between 1902 and 1905. Walker continued to work to develop Papuan commercial interests, and established Papua Industries Ltd "for the instruction of the natives in useful handicrafts and agriculture" with the LMS missionary, Charles Abel.; One of 113 albumen prints mounted in an album by W.G. Lawes. Formerly the first resident missionary on the South Sea island of Niue, Lawes transferred to Papua New Guinea in 1874 until his retirement in 1906. Lawes was a pioneer missionary photographer, and the first permanent non-indigenous resident of Papua New Guinea. He created the first photographic images of the islands and its peoples as well as images of missionary work, which were distributed commercially through Henry King of Sydney. Lawes' knowledge of, and role in, Papuan life was also of paramount importance to other photographers, particularly those of colonial government and expeditionary parties, such as the Australia-based professional photographer J. W. Lindt, who acknowledged the decisive role that Lawes played in facilitating his visit to Papua New Guinea and the photographic work he was able to carry out.