"Bush car made at Mbereshi - made of bamboo, solid tyres" Northern Rhodesia [later Zambia] Central Africa. Mrs Gertrude Turner (nee Coates, 1876 - 1953) sits in the bush car. This photograph is reproduced with an article by the photographer about travelling in central Africa in the September 1922 issue of the LMS journal, The Chronicle, which describes the bush car as "a good way for a lady missionary to travel in the tropics. Only four men need be used, whereas ten are required for machila (hammock) ...The box in front takes a small kettle and teapot, cups and saucers and biscuits, and a paper or book to read while travelling....The men are very happy when taking the missionary's wife and sing all the nice things they can think of about the lady in the Bush Car, and sometimes even sing loudly that "Mama will give them a present at the journey's end!"....So the Bush car is a great help. It is easier for the men and more pleasant for the lady missionary. It is a boon on our long journey to the railway, which takes us two to three weeks. It is a great help in visiting the villages when taking the Good News." Bernard Turner, whose brother and sister were also both LMS missionaries, worked in the Central African field from 1903 to 1940, and was in charge of the Society's Industrial Training Institute at Mbereshi from 1912.