"view across the mission compound, Falealili; shewing the end of the school house and school boys Samoan houses." Missionary with family and Samoan women standing in compound with schoolboys outside school building in background.; A mission to Samoa or Navigators Islands was started after a visit by John Williams in 1830, and it became a succesful mission, famous for its educational work. For example, the Malua Theological College was established in 1844 and the Leulumoega High School was established in 1890. A school for girls, called Papauta, was founded in 1892. By 1905 the indigenous Church was well organised and became effectively financially independent in the 1920s. A high percentage of the population was allied to LMS churches. The main LMS mission stations were on the islands of Upolu and Savaii in Western Samoa and Tutuila in Eastern Samoa.