Group portrait of missionaries at garden party printed onto a postcard bearing the caption on reverse, "Garden party to welcomeRev W.E. Clarke, Apia." "Rev. F Lenwood with best wishes from Sa Saipele. Is this any good for reproduction in Chronicle?" William Edward Clarke served in the Samoa from 1882 to 1896 and again from 1917 to 1920.; A mission to Samoa or Navigators Islands was started after a visit by John Williams in 1830, and it became a succesful mission, famous for its educational work. For example, the Malua Theological College was established in 1844 and the Leulumoega High School was established in 1890. A school for girls, called Papauta, was founded in 1892. By 1905 the indigenous Church was well organised and became effectively financially independent in the 1920s. A high percentage of the population was allied to LMS churches. The main LMS mission stations were on the islands of Upolu and Savaii in Western Samoa and Tutuila in Eastern Samoa.