"Farewell to Mr. Huckett. Apia." Group of missionaries with Samoan boys in football kit gathered outside mission house on occasion of Rev. Walter Huckett's departure from Samoa. Huckett served in Samoa from 1898 to 1904, having previously served in Madagascar from 1889 to 1898. He returned to Madagascar in 1908 until 1910 and again from 1915 to 1931. One of a set of prints from Rev. William Huckett.; A mission to Samoa or Navigators Islands was started after a visit by John Williams in 1830, and it became a succesful mission, famous for its educational work. For example, the Malua Theological College was established in 1844 and the Leulumoega High School was established in 1890. A school for girls, called Papauta, was founded in 1892. By 1905 the indigenous Church was well organised and became effectively financially independent in the 1920s. A high percentage of the population was allied to LMS churches. The main LMS mission stations were on the islands of Upolu and Savaii in Western Samoa and Tutuila in Eastern Samoa.