Group portrait of Rev. Frederick William Walker with household of South Sea Island teachers and indigenous boys and men of Papua New Guinea outside mission house, South Cape, Papua New Guinea, c.1890. Walker (1860 - 1926) first came to Papua as a missionary in 1888 and served in the Port Moresby and Kwato districts until 1894, transferring to the Gulf district until his resignation in 1896, resuming his position between 1902 and 1905. Walker continued to work to develop Papuan commercial interests, and established Papua Industries Ltd "for the instruction of the natives in useful handicrafts and agriculture" [see entry for Abel in LMS register. No. 900], based at Kwato with Charles Abel (1862 - 1930), a company closely associated with the LMS unitl 1926 when it was transferred to the Kwato Extension Association.; Formerly the first resident missionary on the South Sea island of Niue, Lawes transferred to Papua New Guinea in 1874 until his retirement in 1906. Lawes was a pioneer missionary photographer, and the first permanent non-indigenous resident of Papua New Guinea. He created the first photographic images of the islands and its peoples as well as images of missionary work, which were distributed commercially through Henry King of Sydney. Lawes' knowledge of, and role in, Papuan life was also of paramount importance to other photographers, particularly those of colonial government and expeditionary parties, such as the Australia-based professional photographer J. W. Lindt, who acknowledged the decisive role that Lawes played in facilitating his visit to Papua New Guinea and the photographic work he was able to carry out.