"Der Hafen von Mombasa, Englisch-Ost-Afrika." ("The harbor of Mombasa, British East Africa."). In the center: the harbor facilities. On the right: a building. People are walking on the beach. Several small wooden boats are anchored.; Cf. "Druckvorlagen Musterbuch 5, Auf. 104" -- Postcard published by the Leipzig Mission. -- By the late 19th century Mombasa had become the base of exploration for British expeditions to Kenya's interior. British rule of Mombasa became official in 1895 when the British leased a stretch of the coast including the port city from the Sultan of Zanzibar.