"D. Gutmann hat in Moschi alte unanstößige Reigentänze der Wadschagga wieder zu Ehren gebracht. Hier ist die männliche Jugend beim Erntetanz. Von den eigenartigen Trommeln gibt es nur noch ganz wenige im gesamten Dschaggaland. Vgl. auch Erklär. zu 815/816" ("Dr. Gutmann has restored to honour old Chaga dances in Moshi which contain nothing indecent. Here the male youths are performing a harvest dance. Very few of the curious drums still exist in Chaga country. Cf. commentary on 815/816"). Dancers with drums. Men dressed in white and wearing hats as spectators.; In correlation with photos nos. 814, 815 and 816, album no. 3. -- The addendum "D." Gutmann suggests that the photo might have been taken after he received his first honory doctorate in 1924. If, furthermore, the ascription of Guth as photographer is correct, the photo was most probably taken between 1927 and 1938. -- Bruno Albrecht Gutmann (1876-1966), from Trachau in Saxony, was ordained as a pastor in 1901. He served in Mamba from 1902 to 1904, in Madschame from 1904 to 1906, in Masama from 1906 to 1910 (apart from sick leave in 1908 to 1909) and in Moshi from 1910 until his eviction in 1920. In 1925, he returned to Africa and was elected Senior of the Leipzig Mission in the Kilimanjaro region in 1936. He finally returned to Germany in 1938. Gutmann was a prolific intellectual and a prominent exponent of 'cultural conservatism' (cf. Klaus Fiedler). He was awarded an honory doctorate in theology by the University of Erlangen in 1924 and one in law by the University of Wuerzburg in 1926. -- Wilhelm Guth (1888-1980), from Zeiskam in the Rhineland Palatinate, studied commerce before joining the Leipzig Mission as a pastor. He served in Gonja (southern Pare) from 1913 to 1917 and from 1927 to 1938. He left a large number of photographs, mostly taken by himself but including some by members of his family or fellow missionaries.
USC does not control copyright of the images you are interested in using, so you will need to directly contact the institutions who own the materials. For the publication or re-publication of any images originating from the Leipzig Mission, written permission must be obtained from: Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., Paul-List-Str. 19, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany; Tel. (0)341 / 99 40 600, Archive 99 40 633, Fax 99 40 690; e-mail: email@example.com -- The following charges are made for the right to publish an image: - for a publication with a circulation up to 500: 10 euros, - for a publication with a circulation of 501 to 1,000: 13 euros, - for a publication with a circulation of more than 1,000 or for use in electronic media, film, television or other audivisual media: 30 euros. -- Commercial use of images requires special permission and will be priced individually. Copyright belongs to the Archive. Every image published must be directly accompanied by a credit line beginning "Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., ..."; together with the reference. Payment should be made by money transfer in euros to: Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., Account Nr. 100 870 029, Bank: Landeskirchliche Kreditgenossenschaft eG Dresden, BLZ: 850 951 64