"A travellers' bungalow". In front of the bungalow stand Burmese evangelists and a Bible Society colporteur. This photograph, taken by Rev Maurice H. Russell who served in Burma from 1912 to 1926 appeared on a number of occasions in the WMMS magazine, the Foreign Field.; From a set of lantern slides entitled "Methodism in Burma" compiled by Rev H. Crawford Walters who served as a missionary with the [Wesleyan] Methodist Missionary Society in Burma from 1910 to 1916 and from 1918 until 1930. The Wesleyan Methodist mission to Burma started shortly after the British annexation of Upper Burma in 1886. The pioneer missionaries were W. Ripley Winston and Arthur H. Bestall who established a mission in Mandalay in 1887/8. Due to strongly-rooted Buddhist beliefs the mission made slow progress. However, a Home for Lepers in Mandalay was built in 1890 and mission stations eventually opened in Pakkokku, Kyaukse and Monywa. Work was also carried out among the Taungthus people in the Shan Hills.