"Filipo Ndjau mit Familie (Marangu)" ("Filipo Ndjau with family (Marangu)"). Ndjau, his wife and six children with a dog in front of the porch of a house built in European style thatched with plant fiber.; Cf. photo no. 969, album no. 3. -- Filipo Ndjau (or Ndschau/Ndzau/Njau) was born in Moshi approx. in 1890 as Kisari. After the death of his father, who had been a counselor to the Mangi Rindi, Ndjau was brought up by his mother and their kin from 1893. He attended the mission school in Moshi and helped to educate his fellow students as an assistant teacher as early as 1899. In spite of the Chistian education received by the missionaries, he decided to get circumcised in 1904 before his baptism in 1905. Ndjau worked for the missionaries Kurt Fickert, Johannes Schanz and Bruno Gutmann in Moshi, Marangu and Machame and accompanied the former one on his travels to Tanga and Mombasa. Ndjau's positions included ones such as "boy", cook, launderer and assistant teacher. In 1912, he joined the teachers' seminar in Marangu, where he was once again praised for his diligence both in intellectual and physical work. After the closure of the Marangu seminar in 1916, Ndjau worked as catechist in Moshi. He returned to the Marangu seminar on its re-opening in 1926 and served there as a teacher until 1954. The date of his death is unknown. -- Wilhelm Guth (1888-1980), from Zeiskam in the Rhineland Palatinate, studied commerce before joining the Leipzig Mission as a pastor. He served in Gonja (southern Pare) from 1913 to 1917 and from 1927 to 1938. He left a large number of photographs, mostly taken by himself but including some by members of his family or fellow missionaries.
USC does not control copyright of the images you are interested in using, so you will need to directly contact the institutions who own the materials. For the publication or re-publication of any images originating from the Leipzig Mission, written permission must be obtained from: Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., Paul-List-Str. 19, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany; Tel. (0)341 / 99 40 600, Archive 99 40 633, Fax 99 40 690; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org -- The following charges are made for the right to publish an image: - for a publication with a circulation up to 500: 10 euros, - for a publication with a circulation of 501 to 1,000: 13 euros, - for a publication with a circulation of more than 1,000 or for use in electronic media, film, television or other audivisual media: 30 euros. -- Commercial use of images requires special permission and will be priced individually. Copyright belongs to the Archive. Every image published must be directly accompanied by a credit line beginning "Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., ..."; together with the reference. Payment should be made by money transfer in euros to: Evangelisch-Lutherisches Missionswerk Leipzig e.V., Account Nr. 100 870 029, Bank: Landeskirchliche Kreditgenossenschaft eG Dresden, BLZ: 850 951 64