El Clamor Publico is available through a partnership with The Huntington Library, who generously allowed USC to digitize their complete holdings of this newspaper. Billed as Los Angeles' "Periodico Independiente y Literario," El Clamor Publico was the first Spanish-language newspaper in California after the American occupation. It was founded by the former Spanish editor of the Los Angeles Star, Francisco P. Ramirez, a 19-year old printer. Published weekly, 233 four-page issues were published between July 1855 and August 1859.
The initially moderate paper evolved into an activist tabloid and espoused strong political views generally in support of the Mexicanos. While articles commonly dealt with American political ideology and practice, the newspaper's publication of poetry and literature make it an excellent source of cultural history. It was distributed as far north as San Francisco. For additional information see an account of the historic building in Los Angeles which housed the newspaper at Mexican Americans in California: Historic Sites: El Clamor Publico Site.