Photograph of a painting of General Vallejo leading his company of soldiers through Fort Vallejo, Sonoma, ca.1870-1880. To the left, lined near the base of the nearby mountains, are the buildings that make up the small community. The California bear flag(?) waves in the air from the top of a square tower near the center of town. Two rows of soldiers stand at attention in front of the building to the left. At right is a row of Indians standing in front of several Indian huts. Three horse-riding soldiers lead the way. Not too far behind is a company of troops marching in. Spectators watch from nearby buildings and its balconies.; Picture file card reads: "painting by Colin Stevenson about 1879. Fort Sonoma. General Vallejo is represented with two aids on horseback with his troops on one side and his Indian auxiliaries on the opposite. The Mexican flag which was flying on the flag pole in front of the fort was pulled down in 1850 when the bear flag of the California Republic was raised on the tall pole in park opposite the fort. The extensive tower which is here represented as part of the fort was never built.", "Fort Vallejo and Mission Sonoma at far right. Built 1823. Also the chapel with the flag was built by General Vallejo for his soldiers and his town. This has been restored and is called the mission. It is owned by the state."; "Sonoma State Historic Park is the site of the barracks, and General Vallejo's home ('La Casa Grande'), set on 49 acres of land. The Sonoma Mission in the park is the last of California's 21 missions. The mission was founded in 1823. A few years later, the Mexican government instructed Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, commander of the San Francisco presidio, to move his troops to Sonoma and secularize the mission settlement. Vallejo directed Sonoma's development until 1846 when a group of American settlers seized the town and imprisoned General Vallejo in the 'Bear Flag Revolt.' Vallejo was released and later became a State Senator and mayor of Sonoma." -- unknown author, ca.2002.; Photoprint reads: "Fort Vallejo, with the Chapel built by Vallejo and the original Mission of San Francisco Solano de Sonoma founded July 4, 1823. General Vallejo is represented with two aides on horseback with his troops on one side and his Indian Auxiliaries on the opposite side at a grand review, "Revista de Tropas". Painting was made about 1879 by Colin Stevenson and is now owned by R. Payton and hung in the Elks Club at Vallejo. The Mexican flag which was flying on the flag-pole in front of the fort was pulled down in 1850 when the Bear flag of the California Republic was raised on the tall pole in the park opposite the fort. The extensive tower which is here represented as part of the Fort was never built".