Photograph of a panoramic view of the waterfront at The Port of Los Angeles looking north and spanning eastward showing the main channel (center), San Pedro Ferry Landings (center), Deadman's Island (near center towards the right), Terminal Island (left), Carnegie Library (right) and the Presbyterian Church (right), ca.1903. Railroad tracks and utility poles line the strip of land before the wharf (foreground). Buildings, hoisting equipment and various shipping materials line the wharf. Ships, mostly sailboats, are parked along the wharf. People are working on and off the ship. More of the inland is visible at right.; Legible signs include: on CHS-5537 -- "San Pedro Dock Co.", "Consolidated Lumber", "The Southern California Lumber Co.", "55", "Railroad Crossing"; on CHS-5536 -- "Cal. Fish Co.", "A. T. & S. F., SC 622", "Michigan Central", "San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake, 691", "Pennsylvania"; on CHS-5536 -- "Pleiades", "33736", "Chicago, Indianapolis, & Louisville railway, 12074", "Salt Lake Fish Co."; CHS-5529 -- "Larson Boat Builder"; CHS-5528 -- "Knight & Kyde", "Los Angeles, San Pedro, Salt Lake"; CHS-5527 -- "Cannon's clothing and shoes", "The Royal Safe", "Missouri Jim's Restaurant", "Los Angeles Brewing Co.", "Union Station", "M. Brown San Francisco clothing store", "[...] saloon", "lots for [sale]".; "In 1869, the Los Angeles and San Pedro Railroad began service between the bay and Los Angeles. This 21-mile stretch of track was the first railroad in Southern California and marked the beginning of a new era of development for the harbor region. As the nation recovered from the Civil War, and with business booming, Banning led the crusade to solicit Congress for the first harbor improvements. These included dredging the shallow Main Channel in 1871 to a water depth of 10 feet and constructing a breakwater between Rattlesnake Island (now Terminal Island) and Deadman's Island (formerly located near Terminal Island). In that year alone, 50,000 tons of lumber, coal, and other types of cargo moved through the Port as the railroad industry became dominant." -- Port of Los Angeles Archives.; "The harbor was an active shipping center in 1897 when a federal panel selected San Pedro Bay over other coastal communities as the site for development of a major port. Construction of the breakwater began in 1899. In 1906, the City of Los Angeles annexed a 16-mile strip of unincorporated land from its southern border to a waterfront tract in San Pedro Bay, which was christened Harbor City. On December 9, 1907, the Los Angeles City Council created the Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners, marking the official founding of the Port of Los Angeles." -- Port of Los Angeles Archives.