Photograph of The Marshall Monument at the site of Sutter's Mill, Coloma, California, [s.d.]. The statue depicts James Marshall in pioneer garb, holding a gold nugget in one hand and pointing to "the place he found the first gold (June 19, 1848)" with the other hand. Two trees flank the monument. Grass and wild flowers cover the area in the foreground. Bushes and trees cover the hill in the background.; Legible signs include: "Marshall", "48", "commissioner for the state, A. Caminetti, John H. Miller, George Hofmeister, H.C. Gesford, the site of this monument is a gift to the state of California from Placerville Parlor, N.S.G.W.".; "The Marshall Monument stands at the summit of Marshall Hill, overlooking the town of Coloma and the site of Sutter's Mill. The bronze Marshall, holding a gold nugget in one hand, points with the other to the site where he discovered those first few flakes of gold. The monument is made of granite and stands thirty-one feet tall, atop of which is the ten foot six-inch tall bronze statue of James Marshall. The monument was designed and sculpted by J. Marion Wells, and cast in San Francisco. It was erected by an Act of the Legislature, in May of 1890 at a cost of $5,000. James Wilson Marshall is buried beneath the monument." -- unknown author.