Photograph of the exterior view of the Nadeau Hotel on Spring Street and First Street, Los Angeles, ca.1905. The four-story hotel features arched windows all throughout the building on the second floor and up. In the center of the building facing the street on the left are small decorative pediments above each floor from the second floor and up. At the top, above all the other small pediments, is a larger and wider pediment. Further above it is yet another pediment where underneath it displays "Nadeau 1883." The first floor consists mostly of shops. Some stores have striped cloth awnings covering their window fronts. Other commercial buildings can be seen to the left and right of the hotel. Streetcar tracks line the intersection in the foreground. The streets are busy with pedestrian and horse carriage traffic. At the corner of the hotel, on top of the roof, is a corner sign that reads "Hotel Nadeua." The hotel was built in 1883.; Legible signs include: "Tony Zorb's fountain saloon", "Fitzgerald Music Co., music house", "Krell pianos", "Walk Over Shoe House", "108, 109, The Leader Millenary", "A.B. Greenwald Cigar Co.", "tickets on sale now, Al Kaufman, Dave Barry, Kid Solomon, Joe Green", "Paris, Dublin, London, Edinburgh, Vienna, Berlin, papers from all parts of the world", "Godfrey & Moore druggist", "Siegal the hatter", "Hotel Nadeau café and restaurant", "power off", "[...]k store, [owl cig]ar, Ed Herwick", and "physician and surgeon".; File card reads: "Remi Nadeau opened the hotel in 1882 with a grand ball attended by the Southland's elite. He bought the site in 1872 for the 'un-heard' of sum of $20,000. The Nadeau boasted of the first electric elevator to be installed in Los Angeles. Some of the guests at the hotel have included: Anna Held, General Nelson A. Miles, Lillian Russell, and John L. Sullivan (one-time heavyweight champion)."