Photograph of an exterior view of Sutter's Fort in disrepair, Sacramento, 1890. The photo shows the adobe as it stood the year it was purchased for $20,000 by the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West and deeded to the state. The two-story brick adobe is pictured at three-quarters profile, showing both its broad side and its narrow side. It has lost nearly all of its spackle, showing mostly brick. The doorways and windows appear only to be holes through the walls now, lacking either doors or panes of glass. The roof, however, appears mostly intact, save for a few small holes. This building was built around the original adobe, which was constructed by Captain John A. Sutter in 1839.