Photograph of a view of Spring Street looking South from Franklin Street, showing the Courthouse Hill, Los Angeles, ca.1878. A work yard is shown behind picket fence in the foreground, a small brick building at its center and the framework for a carriage in the lower left corner. Beyond the fence, Spring Street can be seen, the spired Trinity Methodist Church (Methodist Episcopal Church?) built in 1875 visible first on the left side of the road with the City Brewery building following farther back. Suburban houses fill the rest of the town's blocks, with a windmill visible over the rooftops to the right. The first Spring Street School can also be seen on the northwest corner of Second Street and Spring. Compares to CHS-7045. Included is a letter F.S. Hamilton's recollection of the landmarks in the image.