4 images. New pilot station at San Pedro main channel (Los Angeles harbor) (ground breaking ceremonies), 1 February 1956. Jeannette Gradis; Lloyd Menveg (president of Los Angeles Harbor Board of Commissioners); Arthur Walters (port pilot); B.J. Caughlin (general manager, Los Angeles harbor department).; Supplementary material reads: "Gershon. Single shot: Jeannette Gradis holding pneumatic drill in ground-breaking ceremonies yesterday at Los Angeles Harbor for $50,000 new port pilot station at the entrance to main channel on the San Pedro side of Main Channel. Double: Lloyd Menveg, Wilmington businessman and president of the Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners, kneels and holds pneumatic drill in ground breaking ceremonies. Triple: Capt. Arthur Walters, port pilot, holds drill, assisted by Jeannette Gradis, Harbor employee, and B.J. Caughlin, general manager of Harbor Department. Four in pic: Miss Jeannette Gradis, Harbor employee, kneels holding drill; Capt. Walters, Lloyd Menveg; and B.J. Caughlin".; Additional supplementary material reads: "Los Angeles Harbor Department, Division of Public Relations, Clancy Dayhoff, director, Troy Garrison -- NE 61721. For release: Thurs. Feb. 2, 1956. Work has started on a new pilot station at Los Angeles Harbor, latest project in the municipal facility's multi-million-dollar program of expansion and improvement, according to Bernard J. Caughlin, general manager. Located at the entrance to the port's main channel, in San Pedro, the new station will be a two-story, stucco structure with a total floor space of 2415 square feet. The Board of Harbor Commissioners awarded the contract for its construction to Wayburn S. Smith, Inglewood, lowest of five bidders. Cost of the station, to be completed next July, will be $54,661. Included in the new building will be an observation room, pilots' and boatmen's ready rooms, and a radar room. The contract also includes construction of two four-car garages and the relocation of an existing 6-car garage. (Handwritten note: Jeannette Gradis, 1005 So. Leland St.; Capt. Arthur V. Walters)".