Evolution of writing, 1938, 8680 California Avenue (north of Firestone Boulevard), Civic Center Community building, exterior. This mosaic of scholars and written languages dating back to neolithic times contains inscriptions in Chinese characters, Phoenician letters, Babylonian cuneiforms and Egyptian hieroglyphics. This small community center was a public library until a new one opened in the early 1970s. Unglazed decorative tiles, kiln-fired, 10' x 12' by Stanton Macdonald Wright. Sponsored by Federal Art Project -- Dunitz, Street gallery, rev. 2nd ed., p. 229, #4 (photo on p. 14).